About Action for Stammering Children
At the charity Action for Stammering Children, we understand how confusing it can be for parent’s when discovering your child has a stammer. It may have just appeared overnight, or it may have become worse gradually over time. One minute it’s there, and the next it’s not. You don’t know what could have caused it and you don’t know where to get help. That’s where we come in.
Based in the Michael Palin Centre for Stammering Children (MPC), a key partner of the Charity, we commission the MPC to deliver specialist assessments and therapies that change the lives of children and young people who stammer. We also coordinate various projects across the country aimed at boosting the confidence of young people who stammer, and allowing them to have a voice in the direction of the Charity.
As a UK registered charity, we aim for a society where children and young people who stammer have the same opportunities and quality of life as their peers. Our goal is to ensure that every child and young person across the UK who stammers has access to effective services and support to help them meet the challenges they face.
The Charity’s vision is a society where children and young people who stammer have the same opportunities and quality of life as their peers.
The Charity’s mission is to ensure that every child and young person across the United Kingdom who stammers has access to effective services and support to help them meet the challenges created by their stammer.
7 Key Strategic Goals:
To achieve its mission, the Charity undertakes activities and services across the following seven key strategic goals:
- To increase access to effective therapy services for children and young people across the UK who stammer
- To empower children and young people who stammer by giving them a voice within our organisation and in society
- To assist the parents of children and young people who stammer, so that they are better able to support their child
- To improve the ability of speech and language therapists to provide effective services to children and young people who stammer
- To promote research into the most effect treatment of stammering in children and young people
- To support innovation in stammering services for children and young people across the UK
- To promote awareness of stammering and the impact it has on children and young people’s lives, and to change public perceptions