Summer Internship with Action for Stammering Children
Apply for a summer internship with Action for Stammering Children, the national charity for children and young people who stammer, their families and the communities who support them.
We are offering an exciting opportunity to join our team for three months to work with us on our research and policy projects. In addition to offering information, support and advice to children who stammer and their families, we champion robust research to inform and influence policy.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, dynamic individual to work with us on a new project we are undertaking with the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT). This project will enhance our understanding of the support available to children who stammer across England, informing our future activity and policy work. There will also be scope for you to get involved in our broader stakeholder engagement work through some of our other projects.
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in gaining experience of the charity sector and developing their understanding of how research informs policy.
What will you be doing
The successful applicant will work closely with the CEO and other members of the team on a specific project that will feed into the lobbying and influencing strand of our work. During the three months you spend with us, you will:
- Work directly with the CEO to take forward our service mapping project;
- Develop an understanding of the commissioning and provision of speech and language therapy services available to children who stammer across England;
- Gain experience in project management from inception to evaluation;
- Feed into our stakeholder engagement work;
- Have an opportunity to shadow the RCSLT’s Policy Team;
- Access professional networking opportunities at the King’s Fund.
Who should apply?
We welcome applications from anyone interested in learning about and contributing to our work. Applicants do not have to have experience or extensive knowledge of childhood stammering.
- Individuals with some research experience at undergraduate level or above, e.g. qualitative data collection and analysis
- Individuals with strong written communication skills
- Available for the entirety of the internship
- Have the right to work in the UK
- The internship will run for 3 months between June and September. Dates to be agreed with the successful applicant.
- Interns will be paid the London Living Wage (currently £11.95/hr)
- The internship involves a combination of remote and office-based working, with the opportunity to attend events with our colleagues at the King’s Fund and RCSLT based in central London.
If you are interested in joining the Action for Stammering Children team this summer, please send your CV along with a cover letter detailing your reasons for applying and any relevant experience, to the CEO, Ria Bernard: [email protected]
If you would like to discuss this opportunity, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Application deadline: 16th June 2023
Action for Stammering Children is the UK charity for children and young people who stammer, their families, and the communities who support them.
We’re here to make sure that every child who stammers has the support, respect and confidence to live the life they want to lead.
We support and empower parents, caregivers and professionals; facilitate and champion research; and campaign for changes in policy and societal attitudes.
The King’s Fund is an independent charitable organisation working to improve health and care in England. Their vision is that the best possible health and care is available to all.
The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) is the professional body for speech and language therapists in the UK. Their mission is to enable better lives for people with communication and swallowing needs.