Integrating Stammering Management Approaches (one day option for under 7s) via Zoom
Please note: this training is online via Zoom.
This is a 1-day course exploring direct speech work with children under the age of 7 who stammer (CWS). See other listing for the full two-day course.
This one-day (under 7s) course is designed for speech and language therapists (SLTs) who wish to develop their direct speech management skills in working with children and young people who stammer (CWS).
It is recommended that participants who attend this course have attended one of our core courses run by the Michael Palin Centre in the general management of stammering (i.e. a Palin PCI, or Primary, or Secondary course) in order to ensure that the direct approaches are set in the wider therapy context. If you only work with children under 7 it is possible to attend day one only if preferred (please state this on your application form).
Hand-outs will be sent to participants in advance. The course will be supported by video material and case discussion.
At the end of this course participants will:
- be able to set goals for therapy in collaboration with their clients;
- be able to discuss a rationale for clinical decision making about indirect and direct therapy;
- to be aware of some of the current thinking about stammering as difference within the social model of disability discourse;
- be familiar with direct speech strategies for CWS under 7 years old which are part of the direct component of Palin Parent Child Interaction therapy;
- be familiar with toolbox talking, fluency shaping, block modification and integrated approaches to speech management for older CWS; and
- be familiar with strategies to promote transfer of skills and to manage relapse.
Setting the scene
- Introduction, scene setting, context;
- Influencing factors in clinical decision making; and
- Advantages and disadvantages of direct and indirect approaches
Principles for working directly with clients who stammer
- Drawing on the client’s skills and expertise;
- Involvement of parents;
- Keeping a balance (speech focus / confidence);
- Helping the client to become their own clinician; and
- How to structure and plan a session.
Techniques across the ages (with video, practical demonstration and practice)
Under 7s: Tortoise talking and Bus talking
What Others have said:
“I’ve gained a greater understanding of rationale for direct versus indirect input”
“It really helped me to focus on thinking about what the child needs.”
“I’ve learned lots of different approaches, not just one.”
“I’m much less scared about direct work now I have seen and practised the techniques.”
“I’m confident in going forward.”
Please read our booking terms and conditions before booking.
If you would like to pay for your course by invoice an administration fee of £20 per person will be added to the course fee. Please add this additional £20 onto your form when you select to pay by invoice e.g. cost of course: £145.
19 May 2022 - 19 May 2022
Contact email: [email protected]
Cost: £ 125
3 Feb 2022 -
10 Feb 2022
Solution Focused Brief Therapy @thepalincentre via Zoom (4 mornings 3rd-4th & 9th-10th Feb)
17 May 2022 -
19 May 2022
Supporting 8 to 14s who stammer @thepalincentre via Zoom
19 May 2022 -
20 May 2022
Integrating Stammering Management Approaches @thepalincentre via Zoom